- Breast Self-Exams Women should begin performing breast self-exams in their early 20s. Your gynecologist or OBGYN can demonstrate how to perform the exam during your annual physical, but studies suggest that even women who do not use a specific method can still benefit from breast self-exams. Self-exams help women become familiar with their breasts so they can recognize any changes in the feeling or look of the tissues.
- Clinical Breast Exams According to the American Cancer Society, women in their 20s and 30s should have a clinical breast exam performed by their gynecologists at least every three years, while women over age 40 should have a clinical breast exam performed once a year. This not only allows a gynecologist to examine the breast tissue, but also allows patients to ask questions about their health.
- Mammograms A mammogram, or X-ray scanning of the breast tissue, is a crucial part of breast cancer detection. For this reason, all women over age 40 should have a mammogram performed on an annual basis. However, women who are at high risk for breast cancer should have an annual mammogram regardless of their age. This includes women who have a known BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, undergone radiation therapy, a family history of breast cancer, or extremely dense breasts.
Desert West Obstetrics & Gynecology offers chiropractic services thanks to Bryan Mack, DC, Tuesday mornings at the Anthem location at 41810 North Venture Dr., Suite E-156.
A former professional baseball player and graduate of the Palmer College of Chiropractic in Davenport, Iowa, Dr. Bryan combines a deep chiropractic philosophy and strong technical skills with proficiency in applied kinesiology. His practice, Camelback Chiropractic, has offices in Anthem, Glendale and Scottsdale.
According to the American Pregnancy Association, there are a number of benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy including nausea control and relief of back, neck and joint pain. Other patients can utilize chiropractic for back pain, headaches and other related issues.
In addition to the Anthem location, Desert West has three other offices currently serving the West Valley.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Mack at Desert West Anthem, call 623-872-0002. You can also get more information from http://www.desertwestobgyn.com/.
• Even for women 50+, skipping a mammogram every other year would miss up to 30% of cancers
Studies show that approximately one in every eight women in the United States—or 12% of the female population—will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetimes.
While some women are genetically predisposed to the disease, preventative health screenings at home and at your gynecologist’s office can significantly reduce your risk of breast cancer.
Can you remember the last time you had a clinical breast exam or mammogram? Get on the path to better health and prevent the risk of breast cancer by contacting Desert West OBGYN at (602) 457-6459.
You can also visit our website to schedule an appointment at one of our Arrowhead, Anthem, Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, or Litchfield locations.
Women should begin performing breast self-examinations during their early 20s to become familiar with their breasts and identify any early signs of breast cancer.
In this video, a knowledgeable medical doctor provides a step-by-step overview on how to perform a breast self-exam using the circle method. Using the fleshy portion of the first three fingers on one hand, press down on one of your breasts starting near the auxiliary region—or the area closest to your armpit. Work your way around the breast in a circular motion feeling for any irregularities, lumps, or bumps.
It is important to take note of any irregularities so you can discuss them with your gynecologist or OBGYN. Learn more in this full clip.
For the best breast cancer screenings and clinical breast examinations in your area, call the experienced gynecologists at Desert West OBGYN at (602) 457-6459.
Do you like Desert West OBGYN Ltd.?
- 7:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday
- 7:00 AM to 4:30 PM Tuesday
- 7:00 AM to 4:30 PM Wednesday
- 7:00 AM to 4:30 PM Thursday
- 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM Friday